Sunday, November 29, 2009

Module 13: Graphic Novels and Series Books

I'm not thrilled with either graphic novels or commercial series (not counting Nancy Drew because she holds a special place in my heart). I chose one because there is a movie coming out soon based on the second of the series, though I read the first. I read Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan.


When a freak show comes to town, Steve is excited to go, but narrator Darren is hesitant, and with good reason. Terrifying things happen at the freak show, but arachnid-obsessed Darren goes back to steal a performing spider from a man Steve thinks is a vampire. It turns out, Steve is right. When the deadly spider bites Steve, Darren is given a choice. He can either let Steve die or become a vampire himself and save him.

This book was only so-so. Compared to all of the other vampire books out there, I wouldn't recommend this book above others. It was a quick read though, so reluctant readers of an appropriate age might find it worthwhile. I do think that the book is gratuitously gruesome, but I'm sure that appeals to middle school boys. I was wondering if it was just me that didn't particularly care for the book, and a few reviews on Amazon.com made me think that perhaps the problem is that the first book sets up the series. It wouldn't be the first series I've read where the first book was much worse than the subsequent books. Maybe after reading the next book, The Vampire's Assistant, I would find that I could recommend the series, but based on this book alone, I cannot.

"This volume is neither as well written nor as compulsively readable as the "Harry Potter" books (Scholastic), though surely J. K. Rowling's endorsement on the cover will win it a few fans. Most of the characters aren't developed much beyond their names and a brief description. The slowness of the plot in the beginning might turn some readers off, but once the supernatural enters, they will be hooked. The fun here is in the details and in the uniqueness of the non-evil vampire monster. Several volumes of the series are already out in England, and the movie rights have already been purchased, ensuring that this title and probably its sequels will be in demand." -- School Library Journal

"The unresolved ending will leave readers begging for more. The gripping plot moves forward at a lightning pace, and Darren's fascination with the grotesque will ring true for many. Though originally published in England, there are no off-putting Briticisms, just a rip-roaring story full of oddities, low-key horror, and occasional, unexpected poignancy." -- Booklist

If I did decide to recommend the series, I would display the books when the movie The Vampire's Assistant comes out on DVD or is shown in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment